Re: Determining system's pixmap path

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 23:10 -0500, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> So, here is the question.  If I understand correctly, the OpenShot
> icon should go in the ~/.icons folder.

No, the debian package will install the icon (via the
"debian/openshot.install" file) to the system
location /usr/share/pixmaps/.

I did some more digging this morning and found that there is a Python
package on Ubuntu - "python-xdg" - that wraps the Free Desktop XDG
specifications nicely - I assume it'll be available widely for Python on
other distros since it comes from:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pyxdg

dpkg-query -L python-xdg

shows it includes some useful examples including one specifically for
Icons:

/usr/share/doc/python-xdg/examples/test-icon.py

Which contains:

#!/usr/bin/python
from xdg.IconTheme import *

print getIconPath("opera")

Using this I did a test (after having installed the openshot package I'm
developing) which shows it works using getIconPath():

$ python
Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:58:18)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
>>> from xdg.IconTheme import *
>>> print getIconPath("openshot_logo")
/usr/share/pixmaps/openshot_logo.png
>>> print getIconPath("openshot")
None

I can have the openshot package depend on python-xdg so you can rely on
it being available if that is something you want to do?

The only objects that should go in the user's folder are per-user,
per-session settings and (temporary) resources related to the
application configuration or projects.

Don't let me confuse you into thinking anything related to the core
application and its resources should be anywhere other than in sytem
locations!

Hope this helps.