Preferences/settings

I'm looking to start work on implementing the first lot of preferences into
Openshot. There seems to be 2 ways to go - either use GCONF, or follow the
freedesktop.org recommendation and use a config file in ~/.config/openshot,
with XDG being able to pick up the location of the settings file.

I've seen it mentioned a few times that GCONF should only ever be used for
user preferences, not for application state type settings (e.g. window size,
last used folders etc.), as there is no guarantee that the GCONF location
will be writable on a users machine (it could be locked down). Given that we
will probably want to keep track of some application state settings I
propose we go down the ~/.config route. A number of other applications use
this method already.

TJ - Are there any packaging implications if we use this method?

Cheers,
Andy.

Follow ups