Re: OpenShot 1.1 testing

Dan,

We do not use melt for rendering, only to determine which audio and
video codecs are installed.  We have a single video thread, that
either hooks up to a sdl consumer for previewing or a avformat
producer for rendering.  So, I'm not sure if I need to add the
NO_VDPAU flag.  What would you suggest?

We have a bug report on LaunchPad explaining how to upgrade
libsdl1.2debian to version 1.2.14.  Other than that, we do not have
much recommending that users upgrade.

I was unaware that the sdl_preview consumer existed. =)  You might
have told me before, now that you mention it, but that sounds much
better than the sdl consumer.  I had noticed that sdl just never lets
up on the CPU.  I will see if I can't integrate the sdl_preview into
version 1.1 of OpenShot, before we release it.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Jonathan

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Dan Dennedy <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Are you running melt or a separate child process to render? If so, did
> you heed my warning and set the MLT_NO_VDPAU environment variable?
>
> Finally, how are you recommending Ubuntu 9.10 users get the
> libsdl1.2debian v1.2.14 from the luci repo that fixes the video
> display issues on some systems?
>
> I will try to get around to some testing myself. One thing I noticed
> recently is that you are using the sdl consumer and not the
> sdl_preview. sdl_preview is not a perfect drop-in replacement - you
> will need to add set-property calls to tell it when to refresh.
> Basically, when you are paused, sdl continually updates the frame
> using CPU during what appears to be an idle state, but sdl_preview
> does not. sdl_preview also gets off of the XVideo port when paused so
> another media player can obtain it for better quality video playout
> making it more friendly in a multi-tasking desktop environment
> overall.
>
> --
> +-DRD-+

Follow ups