interested hobby developer

Hey Openshot crew, my name's Nick.  I'm an ex-software developer, but I
still code for a hobby.  I'm interested in doing some work on Openshot.
I've been a Cinelerra user in the past, and there's some particular
features that I'd like to try and implement in Openshot (mainly the ability
to keyframe arbitrary values and effects, like audio volume, video opacity,
XYZ transform, etc).

I've grabbed and browsed the code from bzr, and did a bit of a mockup this
morning (attached).  What I was hoping for was some feedback on the
direction the mockup is going.  I know Openshot is aimed somewhat at the
beginner, and these are some slightly more advanced features that I want to
add.  If you guys think this is incompatible with your vision for Openshot,
that's fine.  In that event I'd probably have a crack at working on
Pitivi.  Openshot looks like a more friendly beast to hack on, but I'd
rather not have to fork it to put features in.  Again, hope that doesn't
all sound too extreme, just don't want the work to go to waste.

Let me stress I'm not trying to tell you guys what to do.  This mockup just
shows some things I would love to see in Openshot, and I'm prepared to get
my hands dirty working on them.  What I really want to know is, do these
ideas line up roughly with the current future vision for Openshot?  P.S. Is
there a UI brainstorming wiki or something I should have checked before
sending this?  I found none, but I might just have missed it or something.
If so I'm sorry, I didn't mean to circumvent the system.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone and everyone :)
God bless.

Follow ups