openstack-community team mailing list archive

Re: Need your experience sharing of User Group

Stefano,

FYI, following attachment was my experience I shared with Yoyo Chiang a
week ago.

If you want to some input from me regarding howto, I will be glad to help
you.

Thanks.

=====================
Hi,

This is Jaesuk Ahn, a coordinator of Korea community. :)
Nice to hear that you are forming user group in Taiwan.

>> 1. How is your User Group organized? Do you have formal organization
(ex: head, manager, member) to operate such a group?

We did not have a formal organization when forming a user group first time.
A small set of people (mostly my team members) created user group website,
and organized launching seminar.
Then, we contacted other open source communities (such as ubuntu user
group, some developer communities) to spread words about newly formed
openstack user group. In addition, we also contacted a government
organization that supports open source / developer community to promote our
launching event.
Luckily, we were able to gather about 100 people to attend our user group
launching seminar, and a community manager of Openstack.org visited and
presented at our launching seminar. (if you ask for help, openstack.org is
always willing to find a way to help newly formed user group.)
Once we had a successful launching event, we tried to gather more people to
help running user group.
We (a founding member) had to put our effort for several months till other
people started participating user group management activity.
Now, we have more people working/helping us to run openstack user group.

>> 2. How often does your group have event? Including F2F and web-based
event?
We had three official tech. seminars in this year. In addition, more than
five presentations at various seminars / conferences.
Most communications are happening through the community website and our
facebook group.
We are also running Wiki.

>> 3. How to manage the budget/cost for the above event? Sponsor by member
or participating companies?
At the initial phase, we got a budget support from the company I am working
for.
After that, we have been getting a budget help from a government
organization and partner companies.
(Actually, some of community members were able to work on a small
government project with openstack technology, and we were able to use some
of project budge for the community.)

Now, openstack user group has been recognized as a good open source
community, and we are able to work with other open source communities on
various aspects.

Hope it will help you.

Best Wishes,