openstack-community team mailing list archive

Community discussion panel at OpenStack Folsom Conference

hello folks

the programming committee suggested to merge two proposals regarding
community for the next OpenStack conference.

Here is the proposal I originally submitted:

        OpenStack community is growing at a very fast pace. The talk
        will give an overview of this growth, with metrics and graphs.
        The role of metrics will be highlighted pointing at what we're
        currently measuring and what we should be measuring. The session
        will also highlight a grandiose plan to:

           * redesign the current community tools and web properties in
        order to streamline operation
           * create local OpenStack ambassadors to help promote the
        project worldwide
           * give recognition to all the people helping in the success
        of Openstack

George Joseph of Dell submitted a related proposal titled "Building
Success with Open Source User Groups"

        Creating a local user group for Open Source projects requires a
        common focus. Using their experience in forming OpenStack User
        Groups, Dell will walk you through learned best practices used
        for establishing user groups for OpenStack.

        Open Source User Groups are community-based organizations,
        global in scope. They exist for collaboration, education, as
        well as advocacy, and rely on member sponsorship to support
        regularly scheduled meetings – or “meetups.”

        The Open Source Initiative defines the importance of open source
        projects, those projects similar to OpenStack and Hadoop,
        saying, “Open source is a development method for software that
        harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency
        of process. The promise of open source is better quality, higher
        reliability, more flexibility, lower cost, and an end to
        predatory vendor lock-in.”

        Creating a local user group for Open Source projects requires a
        common focus. If the User Group you are interested in supporting
        does not yet exist in your area, finding support from existing
        groups or your local community is made easy with Meetup:
        http://meetup.com/create.

        Using their experience in forming OpenStack User Groups, Dell
        will walk you through the steps used for establishing user
        groups for Open Source projects.

We agreed to merge the two and Mirantis will also join the panel in
order to bring the experience of working with the Russian community.

Is anybody here interested in joining this panel too, especially to
share experience from Asia, India and Europe?

We should also come up with an attractive title and a description:

http://openstackconferencespring2012.sched.org/event/eda8d9162bfd04eb1074ef07daeed890

The panel is scheduled for Friday April 20, 2012 11:30am - 12:10am

thanks,
stef

Follow ups