Re: conventions for docbook element usage

On 03/04/2012 03:10 PM, Razique Mahroua wrote:
> seems pretty solid.
> Regarding the
> "2) right command / wrong command
>>
>> There are a few instances where a "right command" and "wrong command"
>> are referenced.  It appears that the '#' character is used with a wrong
>> command.  It's not clear when this convention would be used.  Could you
>> give me an example?
>>
>> I'm concerned that the use of '#' could be confusing since '#' is so
>> commonly used as either a way to indicate that a command should be run
>> as root or that any words after the '#' are a comment in a file."
>
> I thought using a prefix would not be such a good idea since every shell
> has it's own markers, and accross the numerous doc, I've hit "#", ~",
> "::", "(#)"
> I then thought removing that will help having a good convention on that.

Do you mean removing the shell prefixes from commands?  I think it's
common enough in documentation that '$' means a regular command while
'#' means a command run as root.

    $ command-as-regular-user
    # command-as-root

As long as that is documented as the convention, there shouldn't be any
confusion.

--
Russell Bryant