Re: doc process and coders

Glad you found it interesting! It sure piques my interests.

Couple more comments below.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Razique Mahroua
<razique.mahroua@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Woaw, pretty interesting documents.
> Here are the several things I've noticed, and i agree with :
> *- The documentation efforts as phases (initial launch, maintenance and
> burst)*
> The lowest phase in term of production seems to be the maintenance phase -
> which in fact seems to require much investment/ effort compared to the
> other phase. The two others requiring a shorter investment when it comes to
> the total

Yeah no one wants to do maintenance... but it's the only way to gain trust
in the docs. We need more investment from companies paying writers to work
on docs, methinks.

> *- Starter guides : best weapon for the success of the documentation*
> The starter guides are awesome, they allow new users to discover the
> project, and help them to have a working implementation without reading
> extended docs, which is a key in the adoption of a project. The point here
> is being able to quickly evaluate a project and see how it goes. The
> starter guide doesn't need to cover everything, rather, it should be the
> reflect of the "all-in-one" derived from a project (i'm thinking here about
> the stackops distro, or the "appliances" for other projects). I think we
> should focus a bit more about the usability of starter docs, they should
> have their own identity

So I'm starting to wonder if we should let the distros own the "starter"
docs, and we own more advanced operations docs? The mailing list thread
this morning with the new documents cropping up all the time has me
wondering "aloud" about this. Would love your thoughts here.

> *- Marketing*
> There is a part about the "marketing" of a project, which likely would
> help to bring more contributors. The number of contributors increased for
> projects with a great marketing. I think the starter guides could play a
> part in it
>
> *- Features snippet*
> Some user want a quick and straight answer for a question they might have
> ; it is necessary to make sure those answers could be provided quickly, not
> buried under pages of concepts and presentations. I think the API doc (
> api.openstack.org) is a great achievement in that way :-)
>
> *- Areas focusing*
> It would help me/us to have targeted sessions (like the Docblitz) OPS has
> hundreds of features, sometimes it's just hard to pick a topic and work on
> it. Sometimes I just sort by heat, sometimes by status, etc... having doc
> sessions focusing on one area would enhance productivity AND quality of the
> documentation (*Week 1* : HA, *week 2* : Proof-of-concepts, *Week 3*:
> Interfaces, etc...)

Interesting idea. Let me think about how to act on that.

> *- Doc writers/  Coders : different moving speeds*
> Codes moves way faster than the documentation. Wouldn't it be possible to
> find a way of regulating that ? Maybe make sure a chunk of mandatory doc is
> committed along the code ? That would help us to pick the new features and
> write doc about, rather than systematically install the new version and
> install (which requires more time than simply reading, and adapting the
> documentation

My first goal is to get coders to mark a review as "DocImpact" so we get
notified. Not that they get to throw it over the wall, but that we can
review docs added and require that draft docs go in with a new feature.

> *- Motivation*
> New features are exciting, and I quite enjoy document them rather than
> updating for the 15th time a part of a documentation :-)
> it would be interesting to gather new features docs. and doc that belong
> to the same category. It would be easier to update the doc in a row for both

Maybe we should also requests that blueprints get marked "DocImpact" - what
do you think?

> - *Usability*
> Giving the possibility to a user to find what he looks for in a
> documentation is crucial. Performant search engines are as important as the
> doc itself.

Agree... I'm still flummoxed by how often the Cactus release comes up in
searches. Guess I need to do those redirects.

> What do you think ?

One additional HUGE impact to me is that teams that started with wikis
moved to something more systematic. Their line is "We also found that all
contributors who
originally selected a public wiki to host their documentation
eventually moved to a more controlled documentation infrastructure
because of the high maintenance costs and the
decrease of documentation authoritativeness."

This line is the one I keep drawing... but I would like to integrate more
tightly with Github for fast fixes. Would love ideas and implementation
help there!

Thanks,
Anne