Re: Core List - July 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lana Brindley" <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: openstack-doc-core@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Docs Cores,
>
> Here's the core reviewer stats for July[1]:
>
> Current cores not appearing in any stats:
> Alexander Adamov
> Stephen Gordon
>
> Current non-cores appearing in stats:
> to222 (30 day reviews only)[2]
> Alex Settle  (30 & 90 day reviews, and commits)
> Olena Logvinova (30 & 90 day reviews)
> Helimaniac (30 day reviews only)[2]
> Brian Moss (30 day reviews, and commits)
> KATO Tomoyuki (commits only)
>

> Regarding Alexander, he is currently #16 in 30 day, #19 in 90 day, and
> #86 in commits. Given that this is the second month in a row that his
> stats have been quite poor, I propose we drop him for now. Of course,
> this doesn't preclude him becoming core again later on if his commits
> pick up.

I guess my concern here is we're proposing dropping a reviewer whose review numbers are actually trending in the right direction (that is, we previously kept Alexander on the list when his numbers were worse and now that they are showing improvement we're dropping him).

> Regarding Steve, he is currently #14 in 30 day, #16 in 90 day, and #76
> in commits. I propose that we keep Steve as core, as he's a long-time
> core, and it's entirely possible he's just had a bad month.

As I have fallen out of all of the criteria as currently set I would recommend just removing me for now. If I make the bar in the future or the bar changes I will no doubt be added back on merit, no need for a farewell tour.

> Regarding additions, I think Alex Settle, Olena Logvinova, and Brian
> Moss are all eligible. If we accept all of them, that brings our total
> core group to 15, which I feel is a little large. As Brian is a very new
> contributor and only just scraped in at number 12 on both the lists he
> appears in, I would like to encourage him to keep up the good work, and
> consider him for core next month.

Looking today Brian is 12th in commits, 15th in 30 day review stats, and 15th in 60 and 90 day review stats. This goes to the fact that having a cap of 12 or even 15 can leave a lot of people "on the bubble" so to speak depending on exactly where the next real gap in reviews/commits is, with quite a bit of variability involved depending on exactly when you look. I think we need to be a little bit flexible with how many cores we have as long as they are all actively engaged - with an emphasis on reviewing patches as being able to actually merge patches is the primary "extra" ability granted by being core. I actually think this is *more* important if we're endeavoring to cap the number of cores as a core who isn't reviewing as actively as those who aren't is effectively slowing down team velocity.

> My recommendation, therefore, is:
> Drop: Alexander

I've noted my concerns about Alexander's removal above so +0 on that for now (that is - could go either way but wanted to raise the concern).

> Add: Alex & Olena
>
> Yay or nay?

+1, no issues with these two - though based on Andreas's note that Helimaniac and Kato are one and the same I would suggest that they are a strong candidate to make core if not now then certainly in the near future (same goes for to222 but it wasn't clear to me whether we worked out who that is?).

Thanks,

Steve