Re: Discussion Item - Core Dev process

On Jan 17, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> The problem I have is really something else, rather than with this process itself, but it manifests itself here, so here we go:
>
> The proposal says "In OpenStack a core developer is a developer who has submitted enough high quality code and done enough code reviews that we trust their code reviews for merging into the base source tree."
>
> This is all very well and good, but we've got lots of other things tangled up with core-developerness, other than just writing good code and doing good code reviews.  For example, I don't see any of the questions that are filed on Launchpad, or notifications of new blueprints.  I presume that these kind of things are going to openstack-core (and if they aren't, where are they going?)

You can receive bug notifications, merge proposals, questions, etc. by subscribing to them even if you aren't a member of a -core group. It's kind of a manual one-time process that you have to do in a number of different places. At the very least we should document the steps to get all the relevant notifications.

> I am happy to be involved closely with the community, including helping with blueprints and roadmaps and so on, but I don't intend to do much coding and much code reviewing, as it's more likely that one of my team would do the actual coding.  I don't have much time for dev work any more.
>
> I think we either need a different definition of what it means to be a member of openstack-core, or we need a wider group of people who are closely involved in the community but aren't actually coding.

Possibly there's a way to set up a separate group that you can optionally join to get all notifications (it's a LOT)--I'm not familiar enough with Launchpad to know how that might work.

Jonathan.