Re: github

John Dickinson wrote:
> I really don't think the PPB should vote to allow a project to manage its code in a different was. That decision should be made by the project's respective devs and its PTL.
> [...]

I think it boils down to "what does it mean to be an OpenStack core
project".

On one hand you have Swift, that pushed to have its own version numbers
and its own milestone plan, and wants to be an independent project that
happens to receive an OpenStack stamp every 6 month on their last
available milestone.

On the other hand, you have Nova and Glance, that use the OpenStack
version numbers, a common and predictable milestone plan, and want to be
subprojects in an integrated project landscape.

There are differing views on this, and it's clearly part of the PPB role
to define what it means to be an OpenStack core project, and therefore
what's acceptable for them. It recently ruled that a dynamic milestone
plan was acceptable for the moment. It should rule whether letting each
core project choose its own toolset is acceptable or not.

If the constraints that the PPB sets for OpenStack core projects are
unacceptable for Swift, I guess there is always the option to step down
and become an associated project instead...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack