Re: Revisit project autonomy / project philosophy discussion

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Soren Hansen <soren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/7/12 John Dickinson <john.dickinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>>> So, you'd have bug *reporting* in one place and bug *tracking* in
>>> another? And you'd have roadmaps displayed in one place, but roadmap
>>> *planning* in another? That sounds like a terrible idea to me.
>> This doesn't mean different "places", ie toolsets. Different "roles". Openstack should be focused on doing what is possible to encourage getting these projects into production: large-scale QA, defining the "Openstack vision", and visibility to the community for roadmaps, bugs, and advocacy. The big-picture things rather than toolset-level choices.
>
> I still have no clue what this means. Can you elaborate?

I'll give it a shot. John, correct me if I'm off base. This helps me
understand the other point of view...

I think what John is making the distinction between is that reporting
bugs and displaying a roadmap for OpenStack, the set of related
projects, should be in one place, and the focus of people working on
"OpenStack" (as opposed to the individual projects themselves) should
be focusing only on large-scale QA, while the individual projects
should be free to use whatever tools work best for them and not be too
concerned about what the OpenStack project (the whole thing) uses or
needs.

-jay