openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Python wrappers for OpenStack APIs

It looks like we have two different issues we are trying to solve here. The first is testing Nova itself, and the second is testing a wrapper to interface with Nova. I think the wrappers should be tested within their own projects. And as long as the wrapper is well understood enough it should be sufficient for testing Nova directly.

Daryl brings up a good point that we are going to have to worry about accessing Nove during the different phases of each test. If we don't trust the client enough to make the call we are testing, maybe we could build and call that url directly from the test. However maintaining these tests is going to be a huge pain(and time sink) if we expect everything to be set up by directly. In this case we could use a wrapper for setup, verification, and teardown, and call the tested action directly. If this is abstracted properly then we should only use httplib2 directly in the tests, and only use novaclient directly in the setup, teardown, and verification helpers.

Thanks for all the feedback,
Aaron