From: openstack-qa-team-bounces+rohit.karajgi=nttdata.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:openstack-qa-team-bounces+rohit.karajgi=nttdata.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jay Pipes
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 11:10 PM
To: openstack-qa-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack-qa-team] Devstack dependent tests

On 04/30/2012 09:24 AM, Karajgi, Rohit wrote:
> The coverage can be expanded quite a bit by having tests that perform certain 'white-box' actions such as updating DB entries, and restoring them at the end of the test.
> But most of these tests would be negative, but important, scenarios.
> These should be avoided if they can be replaced with RESTful APIs.
> However, if we do need to use them we need to give them some identifier so that they do not interfere with the normal execution of Tempest blackbox tests.

Yes, I've got some code to help in this regard coming up shortly. I'm waiting on Daryl's BaseComputeTest merge proposal to get into trunk before I propose -- and I was hoping to have a discussion this Thursday about this.

Actually, nose's @attr is pretty good for this type of thing... though we could add a @class_attr decorator to allow entire tests to be decorated.

> Agreed with David that the default for tempest should not be devstack.

Tempest was designed to be entirely agnostic when it comes to the environment it is executing against. It shouldn't matter whether Tempest is running against Devstack, a Chef-deployed OpenStack cluster, or a cluster deployed manually with distro packages.

Tempest doesn't "default" to anything. It just so happens that the gating job that Jenkins runs does use devstack to spin up an OpenStack environment, but that doesn't really have anything to do with Tempest itself.

> As for my specific use case to cause expired tokens, I think Daryl's
> suggestion to update the Keystone API is great, since it is useful to have some kind of forced disable/invalidate of tokens.

Yes, agreed.

Best,
-jay