openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Viewing Devstack environment Logs for Tempest jobs

"Karajgi, Rohit" <Rohit.Karajgi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was interested to know if there is any way to see the OpenStack
> service logs (not the Build console logs) that the Tempest gate jobs
> run against?  I have faced a couple of situations in which the
> gate-tempest-devstack-vm job fails but I was unable to reproduce the
> exact error on my local setup.

Yes,

In Jenkins, click on the build number in the bread crumbs at the top of
the page to get back to the build overview, as here:

  https://jenkins.openstack.org/job/gate-tempest-devstack-vm/5868/

Then, in the middle of the page, expand the tree under "Build
Artifacts", then "logs".  You'll get a listing of log files, like this:

  https://jenkins.openstack.org/job/gate-tempest-devstack-vm/5868/artifact/logs/

That has every bit of output we know to capture.  It used to be more
visible, but now we have so many, Jenkins collapses the list by default
to save screen space.  If something you need isn't being archived, let
me know or submit a patch to:

  https://github.com/openstack-ci/devstack-gate

If information you need isn't being logged, please consider that a bug
(in nova, etc), and correct accordingly.

> Having access to the Openstack service logs would help speed up
> debugging and root cause analysis.  Alternately, is it possible to
> setup a parameterized Jenkins job for Tempest developers to run their
> branches in the Jenkins environment for occasional testing purposes,
> before a review request?

You can push a change to gerrit, and then click the "Work In Progress"
button.  It won't show up in people's list of changes to review, and
can't be merged until you click "Ready for Review".  But Jenkins will
still run checks each time you upload a new patchset (but note -- when
you upload a new patchset, it automatically transitions out of work in
progress, so if you're still working on it, you need to mark it WIP
again).

-Jim