openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Moving follow-up Unconference to 1:45 today

On 10/22/2012 12:41 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>> 1) Tempest executes a series of HTTP calls against public REST endpoints
>> in OpenStack. It has no way of determining what code was run **on the
>> server**. It only has the ability to know what Tempest itself executed,
>> not what percentage of the total API those calls represented
>
> But you can get number of lines covered (vs. total number of lines in
> the component).

No, you can't... you'd need to run this on the server side, and Tempest
is a client-side thing -- you just point it at an OpenStack environment.
You can't assume that you would be able to profile/SSH as root into the
endpoint running the server to do the above.

>> 2) Specs don't always exist for the APIs -- yes, I know, this isn't
>> good. Especially problematic are some of the Compute API extensions that
>> aren't documented well, or at all.
>
> which is why you need to look at the code, see what is missed (and
> 'reverse-engineer' it into a test case).

That's what we've been doing up until now.

> But I guess it doesn't have to be either-or and could be both eventually
> - I don't have a lot of faith in a wiki that needs updating, that's all.

Well, like I mentioned in the original post, doing it in the wiki or
automating/scripting some output is fine with me. I agree that a wiki is
not ideal, but unless there is some code-readable description of the
entire API -- via XSchema/JSONSchema, etc -- this isn't very easy.

Best,
-jay