openstack-testing team mailing list archive

Setting up a non-personal AWS account for testing purposes

Hey testers,

So, Monty and I discussed this little issue the other day and didn't
come up with a great solution, so I figured I'd float the problem to
this list and get folks' input on it.

Basically, the issue is that in order to functionally test the S3
backend in Glance, we need real AWS S3 accounts (access and secret
keys). Up until this point, to run functional tests, Dan Prince and
myself have been using our personal AWS accounts for this. Clearly,
this isn't scalable, especially since we run all functional tests
through Jenkins for each commit to Glance's trunk :)

Soooo.....

We need to do one of two things:

a) Set up an AWS account strictly for the purposes of testing (I don't
anticipate much bandwidth charges to the testing account but there
would be some, and neither Dan nor I want to foot the bill!)
b) Set up a fake S3 service

I prefer to use option a) because my experience is that faked out
services tend to fall victim to not updating when the canonical API
changes and never seem to represent the real thing, leading to all
sorts of real-world bugs.

Dan, I know that you use a labs/testing Cloud Servers account for
spinning up nodes with SmokeStack. Do you (or anyone on this list)
think that AWS has something similar to that or know of an AWS account
that we can use for this purpose?

All help appreciated. It will be difficult to merge in the full S3
backend before we settle this last remaining issue.

Cheers!
jay

Follow ups