Re: OpenStack core components library

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jorge Williams <
jorge.williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure,
>
> We're aiming for consistency with our public APIs so that:
>
> 1) Collections are handled consistently
>      a)  Pagination works the same across APIs
>      b)  Filtering works the same way across APIs
> 2) URIs are built in the same manner
>      a)  Versioning is handled the same way
>      b)  URIs follow a consistent pattern
> 3) Error conditions are handled consistently
>      a)  HTTP error codes are mapped in a consistent manner
>      b)  Error info is return in the content of the message in the format
> 4) Special features should be included in every API and handled
> consistently
>     a) Queryable Rate Limits
>     b) Changes-since operations
> 5) Authentication/Authorization...
> 6) Polling operations and events...
> etc...

This kind of worries me.  Lots of this stuff is going to vary between
services, and I think we need to leave plenty of room for APIs to be
informed by their domains and implementations.

Something like pagination may seem like we could standardize across
services, but the Swift and Cloud Servers APIs already use completely
different methods for paginating.  Probably for good reasons on both sides.

-- Mike