Re: Test Frameworks ...

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would prefer option #1 and to get rid of run_tests.py entirely.
> With nose, it's not useful at all.  So, I would change the
> run_tests.sh script to run nosetests instead of run_tests.py...this is

I vote we also get rid of run_tests.sh and the unit test base class, so we
aren't tempted to add dependencies required for nova tests to run.  Running
tests then becomes typing "nosetests" in nova/tests.

Argument: if run_tests.sh accretes complexity, we can't just run "nosetests
[some sub-package]" anymore; it's all or nothing, like run_tests.py today.
 If a test base class accretes complexity, we'll end up making all our tests
inherit from it out of copy-and-paste laziness, and then someone will add a
feature to it that makes the base class required, and now even simple tests
have a bunch of cruft attached that they didn't need.

I like how Jay has proceeded so far in ~jaypipes/nova/cleanup-unittests --
the nova.tests.utils module provides handy functions for tests that need it,
but otherwise tests are just vanilla unitest.TestCases.

- Michael