Re: Some insight into the number of instances Nova needs to spin up...

Actually it was 1M hosts and  Ivthink 45 million vms.  It was meant to
be across all regions.  Jason Seats set the number arbitrarily, but it
is a good target to not let us forget about scaling while we design.

I think eventually all loads will be more ephemeral.  So, I think I
agree with your numbers, if you are talking about a single availability
zone.