From: Andy Smith <andyster@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:andyster@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:08:29 -0800
To: Matt Dietz <matt.dietz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:matt.dietz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Jesse Andrews <jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>, termie <launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:sandy.walsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: Easy API

+openstack

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Andy Smith <andyster@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:andyster@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Heya Matt,

I was intending on writing an email to the mailing list about it (so I'll just CC it), was just going over tone with the Anso team first since I tend to come off a bit antagonistic.

The short summary is that we wanted to return "hackability" to the project, as developers the move towards API compatibility has slowly removed most of the tools we had in place to test out new features as they were being worked on, so in that way the reflection api, self-registration of services, command-line tool and general simplicity (you can explain how everything works in just a few sentences) are a solution.

Part of that hackability also meant hackability for third-parties, we wanted developers to be able to add functionality to Nova without having to go through the Nova review process and even be able package that functionality separately, this is an obvious  goal for any large entity using openstack internally where they have additional changes to make to customize their deployment.

Easy API makes up a good basis for extensibility of the project over time.

The existing APIs are still necessary to serve their purpose which is translating the intents defined by existing specifications/implementations to tasks that make sense for Nova, and should it be desirable those interfaces can easily be built on top of and decoupled (due to the delegated auth pattern) from the Easy API, the EasyCloudTestCase gives a decent example of how such a thing could be done.

In my personal opinion I see the two existing API implementations as 'compatibility' APIs where as Easy API is a direct API and much easier to understand because of it.

The relevant blueprint (read the spec, obvs): https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/easy-api

--andy