Re: [RFC] OpenStack API

On Dec 30, 2010, at 1:59 PM, John Purrier wrote:

Jorge, you will need to let folks see the proposed updates to the OpenStack API for version 1.1.

Absolutely,  I will post the spec once we settle on the new set of API features.  The API extension mechanism and the transition to the OpenStack namespace are the major features in the release. Other features are minor from an API perspective (i.e. IPv6 address support).

We've been considering adding an extension mechanism to the Cloud Servers API  even before OpenStack as we were approached by several third parties who wished to create their own implementations of the API.   The idea is that we want to allow folks to extend the API as they see fit while maintaing clear governance over the core spec and allowing for compatibility between different implementations.

I put together simple stack on API extensions, how they'd work, and how we'd recommend they be managed by OpenStack.  The API specs will flesh this out in more detail.  Some of the low level details may change slightly (namespaces, resource format, etc), but in general this is the approach that we're aiming for in the next revision of the spec.

http://wiki.openstack.org/JorgeWilliams?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Extensions.pdf

As always, I welcome your feedback,

-jOrGe W.

at abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and delete the original message.