Re: [RFC] OpenStack API

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Purrier wrote:
>> 1.       Bexar will present a version 1.0 OpenStack API based on the 1.0
>> Rackspace Cloud Servers API. The OpenStack namespace will be set up and
>> published, and tools will be available that manipulate Nova via the
>> OpenStack API. Any functionality that is not yet implemented will be
>> documented in the developer’s guide.
>> [...]
>>
>> Rick/Thierry, if we have work items for Bexar that are not covered in
>> order to complete this plan let’s highlight them ASAP. Also, can we
>> verify that the management tools are in progress?
>
> >From where I stand, there were no discussions around this subject at the
> design summit, and no blueprints filed about API coverage or
> command-line tools... so I assume nobody is actually working
> specifically on that. If I'm wrong and someone owns this, please let me
> know.
>
> The Bexar development window is now closing (January 6th is
> BranchMergeProposalFreeze), so the Bexar objectives sound a bit
> optimistic. How about making sure we have a plan and the resources
> assigned to execute it during the Cactus timeframe ?

++

I'm sorry, but I don't believe it is realistic to do API extensions
for Bexar.  As Thierry said, no blueprints were filed at the summit on
API extension, no discussions occurred at the summit about it, and
although Andy has some example/prototype code, I'm sure he would admit
that his code was meant, at least so far, to spur discussion and not
necessarily be merged into trunk right away.

I concur with Thierry that Cactus would be a better timeframe for
implementing API extensibility. It would allow for the proper amount
of discussion on this topic to occur.

-jay