Re: Some insight into the number of instances Nova needs to spin up...

Yes, we absolutely need common nomenclature.  You've already used a bunch of terms (region, metro area, zone) and at the Bexar design summit, the only thing that was clear was that no-one agrees what these terms mean.

It would be really useful if you could write down your intended deployment scenario, and the terms that you use.  We can then use that as our basis for discussion, and other people can propose alternative architectures as deltas against that.

In particular, we need to understand how metadata is sharded or otherwise distributed between different regions / zones / clusters / whatever, so if you could describe your architecture wrt the distribution of metadata, that would be very useful.

Thanks,

Ewan.