Re: [RFC] OpenStack API

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just read the EasyAPI BP and, from a technical perspective, seems
> rational and sound. The challenge, of course, are the implications for the
> business side of the house. I realize it doesn't make sense to strive for
> backward compatibility to EC2/RS API's from EasyAPI, but perhaps the BP
> should discuss what an API Bridge might look like so we can pull out the
> existing API services and map them to EasyAPI?

Sure, I can add that more fully today, I touched on it a bit already in
there but I can give a more detailed example.

> Another point of consideration might be unimplemented features at the
> hypervisor level being reflected in the public API. For example, we have
> already added several features on the XenServer side that don't currently
> have sister operations on the KVM side. Should these operations appear in
> the public API? Or, should the choice of hypervisor cause the public API
> WADL to change? Perhaps it's fine to simply tell a "stack" user "<Blah>
> feature is not implemented for <Foo> hypervisor"?

My initial gut response would be to make a method on compute,
'raw_hypervisor_call,' that forwards down a level to the hypervisor so that
we can have access to individual low-level methods while people decide
whether to add them more globally. Probably from there you make an
additional api handle for the specific implementation, say XenAPI and
register it at /xen/* and have it generate rpc calls to the
'raw_hypervisor_call' method.