Re: Pondering multi-tenant needs in nova.

This thread is enormous, so I'm I'm going to briefly summarize the two options as I see them:

1.  Project Id is an opaque string, and it simply represents some kind of collection of users.  It is the
responsibility of external systems (authn, authz, billing, and monitoring) to define what the string
means, and what the relationships between the different "groups" and objects are.  Nova needs a
few plug-in points to authn and authz, but the logic relating these projects to users happens external
to the nova code.  Networking concerns are isolated to the project level.
Pros:
 * Almost no changes to existing code (supporting multiple networks per project isonly necessary if
    we want to support multi-tenancy in vlan mode)
 * project code is simple and unencumbered (most small deployments don't need multi-tenancy)
Cons:
 * pushing a lot of potentially useful code into external systems
 * potential for lack of code sharing between external sytsems

2.  We change the project code into a more general concept of groups.  Groups can contain other
groups, and users and groups can be members of multiple groups.  This would mirror the possibilities
available in ldap.
Pros:
 * Greater flexibility of implementation.
 * Group implementation code is in one place, minimizing different implementations per component
Cons:
 * Much more complexity in the nova code.
 * The greater complexity/flexibility won't be needed for smaller deployments.

Both of these options seem viable to me, but I'm actually leaning toward adding flexible groups into
nova proper.  A complete authentication system IMO needs to support, flexible groups.  If we increase
the flexibility of nova in this regard, it gives us a springboard to breaking out authz into a more complete
separate service.  I like this more than rewriting the entire thing from scratch as a completely new component.

Vish