Re: Queue Service

Eric,

Ordered delivery of messages is a feature that I recognize is central to the design of a queue service. A queue must be durable (persistent) in order to provide reliable ordering capability. Having this feature simplifies implementation of applications that consume the queue. I agree this feature should be optional, but available regardless of the protocol used to access the service.

I also feel strongly that there should be a concept of a sensible trade-off between performance and reliability/durability. For example, allowing modes of operation ranging from best-effort (fast) to guaranteed ordered delivery with optional error/timeout callback (slow/reliable). For those requiring top speed, accommodations for unreliable (in-memory, un-ordered) queues can be made within the application.

I also feel that the (de)queueing logic should be modular, and selectable at the time an item is de-queued. This can allow advanced queue theory implementations without haciking. Specifically, allow fine control over what items are in what order, and under what conditions. One example of this would be a simple implementation of FIFO by default, and an optional priority-queue implementation as a selectable alternative. Having a well defined plug-in interface for this should prove to be very useful when custom algorithms are desired.

Although now I'm diving into what really may be considered the implementation discussion, I think that any queued item should be allowed to have arbitrary metadata attached to it that's automatically indexed for internal search capability. Think headers, not body.

Adrian