Re: OpenStack Compute API 1.1 ‹ server actions

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:09pm
To: "Glen Campbell" <glen.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Openstack] OpenStack Compute API 1.1 ‹ server actions

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Glen Campbell
<glen.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The proposed compute API 1.1 has a specification for server actions (Sec.
> 4.4) with the endpoint:
>
>    /servers/{id}/action
>
> The actual action is specified as the body of the POST request, and the
> implication is that the action is performed immediately, or as soon as
> possible.

Hmm, do you mean the GET request? The above URL implies the action is
part of the GET URL...

/servers/{id}/action only accepts POST requests with an action entity as the body, "action" is not a replaceable string

> I'd like us to consider changing this "action" resource into a "calendar" or
> perhaps "schedule" resource:
>
>    /servers/{id}/schedule{/year{/month{/day{/hour{/minute}}}}}
>
> This would provide a generalized way of performing actions on a scheduled
> basis.
>
> For example, instead of having to wake up at 2AM to reboot a server (for
> whatever reason), the administrator could schedule that event:
>
>    /servers/{id}/schedule/2011/2/17/02/00
>
> By using the default resource (without the day or time specified), the
> meaning would be synonymous with the proposed "/action" resource; i.e.,
> perform it NOW, or as soon as possible.

Why not /servers/{id}/{action}/schedule/2011/2/17/02/00 instead? That
way no POST would be required.

Changing a POST to a GET may seem convenient, but to me GET != POST and should never be used that way. Why not add a "schedule_at" property to the action entity and keep the url short?

> The schedule resource could have additional uses; for example, a GET request
> could return the currently-scheduled actions for a particular server.

Sure. So, GET /servers/{id}/schedule would return a list of scheduler actions?

-jay