Re: Steps that can help stabilize Nova's trunk

2011/2/17 Jim Curry <jim.curry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Soren, can you clarify what you mean by Ubuntu being the primary platform?  Why is that the reference?  What limitations does this introduce?

It's the primary platform because it's the platform we test everything
on, it's the platform we spend time integrating with, etc.

It started out as the reference because that's what both the Swift
devs as well as the Anso guys had chosen it as their reference
platform. It's an excellent choice, so there has been no motivation to
change that decision as far as I know.

I can think of a long list of consequences of this choice. Attempting
to phrase any of them as limitations would be contrived.

Having a reference platform means we can reasonably make a lot of very
useful assumptions about the environment in which Nova runs. Having
that reference platform be Ubuntu means that there's a straightforward
way to modify this environment if we have special needs. I've patched
a number of packages in Ubuntu already to accomodate our needs,
including the Linux kernel, libvirt, Eventlet, user-mode-linux, etc.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/