Re: Should the OpenStack API re-use the EC2 credentials?

Hi all,

I'd like to bring up an alternate reason why it was approved and
subsequently reverted.

The test cases for the OpenStack API (and much of the EC2 API) assume
way too many things and mock out too many things. In addition, since
there are zero smoketests for the OpenStack API, there were no
functional tests that would have *immediately* highlighted this
problem (and many other recent EC2 vs OS API problems).

In other words, sure, we should revert the patch to "fix things",
however the priority should *not* be on refactoring the auth API or
the way the auth layer in Nova is handled. The priority should be on
writing a smoketest for the OpenStack API so that we can link it into
Hudson and these types of issues can be automatically caught.

-jay