Re: Instance IDs and Multiple Zones

I think _if_ we want to stick with straight numbers, the following are the
'traditional' choices:

1) "Skipping" - so zone1 would allocate numbers 1,3,5, zone2 numbers 2,4,6.
 Requires that you know in advance how many zones there are.
2) Prefixing - so zone0 would get 0xxxxxxx, zone1 1xxxxxx.
3) Central allocation - each zone would request an ID from a central pool.
 This might not be a bad thing, if you do want to have a quick lookup table
of ID -> zone.  Doesn't work if the zones aren't under the same
administrative control.
4) Block allocation - a refinement of #3, where you get a bunch of IDs.
 Effectively amortizes the cost of the RPC.  Probably not worth the effort
here.

(If you want central allocation without a shared database, that's also
possible, but requires some trickier protocols.)

However, I agree with Monsyne: numeric IDs have got to go.  Suppose I'm a
customer of Rackspace CloudServers once it is running on OpenStack, and I
also have a private cloud that the new Rackspace Cloud Business unit has
built for me.  I like both, and then I want to do cloud bursting in between
them, by putting an aggregating zone in front of them.  I think at that
stage, we're screwed unless we figure this out now.  And this scenario only
has one provider (Rackspace) involved!

We can square the circle however - if we want numbers, let's use UUIDs -
they're 128 bit numbers, and won't in practice collide.  I'd still prefer
strings though...

Justin