Re: Openstack API - Volumes?

There are many existing volume solutions.  Some are in production use (AoE,
iSCSI).  There are enterprise-class SAN providers (Solaris, HP/LeftHand
SANs).  There are existing projects to build 'cloud' storage solutions that
are shaping up very well (SheepDog, RBD).

It's great that you're thinking about how to add another option to the mix.
 I do think you should consider supporting one of the existing efforts
unless you have a radically different approach, but it's open source, so
you're free to scratch your own itch.

However: this should not be allowed to impact the volumes API.  I consider
volumes to be a core feature of the cloud; and OpenStack has great volume
support today.  We have API support for volumes today in the EC2 API, and if
we want people to use the OpenStack API, then API support for volumes needs
to be there as well.  This does not mean that volumes must be enabled on
every OpenStack deployment, so even if CloudServers can't support volumes
initially, we should still provide the API.

So: When can we expect volume support in nova?  If I repackaged my volumes
API as an extension, can we get it merged into Cactus?

Justin