Re: Announcing Project RedDwarf - Database as a Service

On 04/24/2011 10:16 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
Daniel Morris wrote:
The initial architecture of this service is being designed around
several technologies listed below

·       *Open Stack Compute (Nova) *

·       *OpenVZ*- OpenVZ is a container based virtualization technology
that ensures guaranteed resource minimums and maximums delivering
exceptional performance from a MySQL server, comparable to a bare metal
box.

Hey Daniel,

That's an exciting project indeed. I was wondering about the choice of
OpenVZ as the container technology: Nova supports LXC containers at this
point, and not OpenVZ ones. Any particular reason why LXC containers
cannot fit the bill for you ?

Terry

LXC was a preferred choice as it is in the kernel but at the moment it is lacking several features mainly migrations and resource management. LXC is using cgroups for resource management but it is not as fine grained or as easy to administer as openvz resource management. There may have been a few other reasons for the choice but those are the main ones I can think of.

Edward