Re: [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Alex Neefus <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All –
>

> I wanted to lend support to this proposal, however I don’t think we should
> be so quick to say this whole thing is an extension.

Hi Alex, all,

I'd like to try and level-set here for a minute, as I don't believe people
are saying that such a mechanism itself would be an extension, but rather
that it would be a mechanism for plugins to expose extensions.

Here is the situation as I understand it:  I believe most people would feel
that having a conf/cap/profile attribute on ports and networks in the core
API is (at least) one reasonable way of letting plugins exposing additional
data via the Quantum API.  Where the issue of OpenStack extensions would
come in is providing a mechanism to introduce new key-value pairs to
something like the conf/cap/profile attribute.  I'm not expert on API
extensibility, but doing so seems to be a direct application of the "Data
Extensions" portion of the OpenStack extensions proposal (see slide 29 of
http://www.slideshare.net/RackerWilliams/openstack-extensions)

The OpenStack extensions proposal focuses on standardizing several key
questions around introducing new data, such as these key-value pairs:
- How do you prevent naming conflicts between keys?
- How does someone easily determine whether a Quantum instance supports a
certain type of functionality (i.e., a certain key)?
- How does one get access to documentation on the format + type of the
"value" portion of the key-value pair? (values may be nested objects in
complex scenarios).
- How do we handle the official "promotion" of a key-value pair from an
extension to being part of the "base"?

In my opinion these all seem like good things to standardize across
OpenStack services and hence be part of Quantum.

My original response was motivated by the fact that the proposal didn't seem
to mention using the OpenStack extension mechanism to expose non "base"
key-value pairs in the conf/cap/profile attribute.  Based on Rick's response
it seems like the plan is in fact to try and use OpenStack extensions, so
I'm hoping we're largely on the same page, fingers crossed :)

Dan