Re: Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

> 2011/7/7 Trey Morris <trey.morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The goal isn't for ec2 api to be a "second class citizen", but to keep it
>> from being a limiting factor since we don't have control over it. How does
>> the compatibility layer make it second class?
>
> Well, for one thing because you'll be limiting the EC2 API to what the
> OpenStack API is capable of doing and/or expressing.

Actually, we can add any code that is necessary to make the ec2 api work properly as extensions to the os api.  My main reason for suggesting the switch over to a compatibility layer is so that we don't have multiple code paths into the heart of nova.  This has been a pain point already, and it will only get more painful as we move forward.  If all the stuff that makes ec2 compatibility work is in one place at the top layer, it is easier to maintain.

If we need to maintain entirely disparate code paths from the api all the way down to the hypervisor, things will continue to be very fragile. It means we have to make the ec2 api work across zones. It actually doesn't matter to me particularly if we are speaking to the rest api or some sort of internal api, but we are currently exposing the os api for multiple zones so it seems like we are moving in that direction.

Vish