Re: Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

On 7/8/2011 5:32 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
I don't think that the OpenStack project should commit to maintaining EC2 compatibility at all costs, only as long as the benefits outweigh the development costs. In particular, if Amazon deliberately started making changes to break the API, that would be a good time to consider dropping support.
Some observations from the cheap seats:
- OpenStack will never be 100% compatible with either the EC2 API spec or the AWS EC2 implementation. Things like spot pricing, or cluster compute instances, or product codes may never make sense, or if that type of feature is implemented it may look completely differently. So framing the discussion around 100% seems pointless. - There seems to exist tremendous value in supporting two APIs in that it forces certain architectural structures and certain implementation rigors that have great value going forward. - Having an EC2 compatible API as an easy on-ramp seems to be quite valuable, but I'd be hard-pressed to put numbers behind that. I'd keep the goals around the "core" cloud functionality, what you'd expect 90%+ of users to need as a minimum to test out OpenStack. I'd expect almost anyone to understand that they will need to move to the OS API sooner or later. But the compatibility API can make it much easier to get there incrementally. Not sure how to draw the line, though.

Thorsten