Re: Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

> 1) Done right, the only time I need native IDs is when I have a complex situation which needs debugging.  It isn't the norm (or if it is, we've failed) -- so really I ONLY need native IDs when it's all gone pear shaped.

As the human presentation interface, sure, but the *automated* control surfaces under the hood shouldn't be using 32-bit ids that break when you cross zones or zones change.  nova-compute service shouldn't know what a zone is other than a membership in one-or-more RabbitMQ topics.

> Look, as an API user... frankly, I don't want to manage complexity across providers.  The more OS can insulate me from the details while providing equivalent functionality the better.  And quickly, please.

Agreed.  I don't want to know the underlying structure of every provider.  I've had trouble understanding the notion of zones where I have to programmatically traverse a provider's datacenter like company.com/country/state/datacenter/floor/row/rack/shelf/blade/vm.  Sure, this is good for datacenter maintenance, but I *never* want to see it as a customer.  From this perspective, the EC2 API has a better customer abstraction.

Brian Schott, CTO
Nimbis Services, Inc.
brian.schott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ph: 443-274-6064  fx: 443-274-6060