Re: Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Mark:

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:31 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> I don't know the background to this whole thread, but IMHO:
>
>  * Upstream core devs shouldn't need to worry much about packaging, for
>    any distro. Given the upstream use of virtualenv, the policy for
>    dependencies should be just to use the latest and greatest. For
>    non-python dependencies (e.g. iptables, libvirt, KVM, Xen) there
>    should probably only be versions from a limited set of fast moving
>    distros supported.

My understanding is that virtualenv is really only there as a convenience for developers, so they can run their tests without having to install the packages in their base system. Virtualenv is not intended to be used for deployment.

In particular, none of the documentation mentions using virtualenv for deployment, and the unit tests run on https://jenkins.openstack.org/ do not use virtualenv for testing. (We use the virtualenv for our internal Hudson server, and we occasionally see issues where the virtualenv breaks because of a version bump).

Lorin
-
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist
USC Information Sciences Institute