Re: New git-review tool ready for people to try

Julien Danjou <julien.danjou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This sounds like a good idea, but the name is very generic and the code
> only related to OpenStack. I am not sure it's a good idea to keep that
> name or to write the tool as it is now.
>
> There's a need to have something automated to push things to gerrit. I
> think you should rather use git-config to store the URL to the Gerrit
> instance so your tool is more generic, for example.
>
> Or don't be generic, but change the name then. :)

Absolutely, we want the tool to be completely generic, and once it is,
we'll send out notes to other projects that we know are using similar
workflows.  There's only one part of it that is openstack specific at
this point, and I think we can get rid of it:

The tool needs to know the gerrit URL for a repo, and there's really no
way to automatically determine that.  Currently, it has some hard-coded
information about openstack, so we can avoid prompting.  To get rid of
that, we could just prompt the user.  Or, as you suggest, store
something in git-config, though since that would essentially be the URL
for a remote, we might just change the directions to "install
git-review, then set up a gerrit remote with git remote add".

Another idea though is to add a small dotfile into each repository
indicating the canonical location of that repo's gerrit.  Unlike storing
an entire tool like rfc.sh in the repo, it seems that just adding that
bit of static data to the repo seems appropriate.  It shouldn't get in
anyone's way, and it shouldn't need to be updated.  So we could look for
a file called, say '.git-review' with the URL, and if it's not found,
prompt the user.

-Jim