Re: [nova-testing] Efforts for Essex

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Soren Hansen <soren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/11/22 Rohit Karajgi <rohit.karajgi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Also I really  should not feel the need to install a DB on my box to run a unit-test suite. None, but the DB API tests should have the need to perform any database operations and validations. It slows down the overall execution.
>> Such things should be replaced with test doubles.
>
> I'm making great progress on a fake DB implementation for tests. The
> first 1031 tests (out of ~1900) pass now (in 73 seconds). Stay tuned
> for progress reports :)

FWIW, I created a fake database store for Glance originally, and
indeed the unit tests ran quicker than they do now because we use an
in-memory SQLite database in the unit tests. That said, switching from
a faked datastore to a real one that actually used the SQLAlchemy code
exposed at least 4 bugs that weren't being caught by the fake data
store.

I understand the desire to speed up the unit test suite, but this
desire must always be tempered with a need to test the actual
interfaces, not fake ones that mimick an interface but not necessarily
duplicate it...

Just a thought,
-jay