Re: Xen and openstack

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Michaël Van de Borne
<michael.vandeborne@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On this page, one can see that XenServer 5.6 and XCP are supported. Is there
> any chance to run xen VMs using just the 'xen hypervisor' package from linux
> distributions?

In theory you can use the libvirt OpenStack driver. (In practice I
think there may be some things not yet working or implemented for Xen
+ OpenStack). You may want to instead take a look at Project Kronos:

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/07/22/project-kronos/
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XAPI_on_Ubuntu

with Project Kronos you will have two options:

(1) bare metal --> (Linux Distribution + xapi + Nova Compute)

(Note that currently only Ubuntu/Debian are supported, but Fedora is
planned and someone did proof of concept on RHEL)

OR

(2) The XCP/XenServer way with Nova Compute in a VM.

> This means: bare metal -> Fedora 16 -> nova-compute -> VM
>
> is the page: http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment still valid for
> this configuration?

No. But it should work for Project Kronos since the nova compute VM +
xenapi needs to talk to XAPI.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you try Project Kronos with OpenStack and if you run
into any issues.

Thanks,
Todd

--