Swift 1.4.4 released

Happy Thanksgiving (to those in the US)!

Today, I'm thankful that I can announce that swift 1.4.4 is officially released. This release has quite a few good changes in it, and, as always, this is a stable, production-ready release. You can upgrade from previous versions of swift to this version with no downtime. The full changelog can be found below:

https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/457b7441953687fc56977ce7664be94fab8fa4f3/CHANGELOG

I'd like to highlight a few of the biggest changes in this release.

We have added expiring objects support to swift. Expiring objects allows a user to set an expire time on an object and ensure that it is inaccessible after that time and it will be automatically deleted by the system. The feature is documented at http://swift.openstack.org/overview_expiring_objects.html.

We have fixed several customer-facing bugs in this release. A bug where certain objects could not be used with the COPY command has been fixed. Also an error in the server-side calculation of etags for large objects has been fixed. For deployers, we have added man pages and added new reports to swift-recon. Importantly, we have fixed a few bugs related to a memory leak in the proxy server under certain conditions.

I would recommend that all deployers upgrade to swift 1.4.4, if possible.

For more detail on this release, see the swift 1.4.4 release page on Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/swift/essex/1.4.4). The official Openstack PPA for this release is https://launchpad.net/~swift-core/+archive/release.