Re: Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 10:32 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> TL;DR summary:
> The resources needed to do that properly are bigger than you think (and
> doing that will alienate some distro packaging resources), so we'll
> either do a terrible job at it, or lose focus on the development
> release. If there is a need, it should be done as an alternate
> distribution, not inside the OpenStack project.

I think the conclusion is fair, especially if you consider that for the
OpenStack project to convincingly do binary distributions we would also
need to support a wider range distros/platforms.

But if a thriving community effort around doing producing binary
distributions of OpenStack for multiple platforms did happen to develop,
I think it would be valid to leave open the possibility of that effort
joining the project. That doesn't look terribly likely right now,
though.

Cheers,
Mark.