Re: Cloud Computing StackExchange site proposal

Hi guys.
When we have any kind of trouble, we hit the logs right away, and when we see the stacks, what i want to do is to copy & paste the error, and wait for the "search engine" to do its job, since at this point i consider myself a user, so, i try to think like one, and most of the time what i want, is not to ask for a problem, but to see if someone already has it.

Today i think there are enough data on launchpad to solve, or al least, give a very accurate hint about 90% of the problem a user may face (nova, swift, glance, maybe keystone) when they are stuck, but some times the search are not accurate enough for a search regarding an issue i know its there. so ... maybe i ended up using google search to look into lauchpad.

So ... first, launchpad works pretty well as a Q&A site for openstack projects, but at least, i feel theres no a good way to show all the experience is stored there to a "fresh" user, so a more than good search engine i think is a must, mainly because having lack of resources for showing an answer that is already solved to a user, lead to the user to, 90% of the time, duplicate a question, and so .. a lot of admin work ( maybe deleting those, or teling the user it was already answered on THIS link), or the feeling of the Q&A system to be forsaken because of the amount of questions "unsolved".

A forum is more than ok also, because it gives the feeling of community and unity where the user feels confortable, but mixing that with a Q&A system, its a little difficult.

Making posts promoted to FAQS or post becoming GUIDES and going into the FAQS, and the search engine suggesting something like "Ok, if you didnt find your answer, maybe you are having troubles because of an implementation or a setup problem, why dont you go to the IMPLEMENTATION AND MOST IMPORTANT GUIDES to see if you can improve that and fix your real problem ??" is a nice to have, make the user confortable that they can find what they need, whitout asking for it ... in wich case, they actually can.

As a last note, from mercadolibre since we have a lot already tested, and working into production ( nova clusters, nova volumes, keystone, swift, glance ) we can really share our experience in the form of "THE DEFINITVE GUIDE TO ..." or something that, maybe doesnt actually fix a certain user problem, but helps them understand how things gets configured, and actually how they work 2gether, we can really help on this, but i think this guides need to be put in a place where the user actually knows they exists, and no like just one post on the forum, or a "question" on launchpad.

The official documentation is a great starting point, its has been greatly improved and we've always used it every time we tried a new openstack part of the solution, so .. nicely done there Anne.

hope this gives a little user perspective.

---
Alejandro
mercadolibre.com