Re: Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

On 11/30/2011 7:59 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:

I don't have anything concrete to offer as an alternative, but I'd
love to see something like devstack that runs either from git or
tarballs and supports multiple distributions.
For production, we recommend people use packages. I think there's a lot
of value in using the same installation mechanism for QA as for
production.

This, for us, is the main issue. We use devstack for various things but unfortunately "install from source" is very different from "install for production", more so in python/openstack than some other technologies. When we are testing a new build to see whether a problem was fixed or a new feature is working we just want to change the pointer to the ppa. I understand that if some source change induces the need for a packaging change then an auto-created ppa will stop working. It is also true that creating packages as part of a build process may end up favoring some packaging system over another. Still, I don't think that is a reason to force users to have their own (or, cringe, manual) processes to create packages that can feed into a test-for-production environment when jenkins can just do it for a few popular systems.

 -David