Re: openstack-common

On 01/03/2012 02:54 PM, Ewan Mellor wrote:
I'd love to see openstack-common get off the ground, so I'm all in favor of this.

One question: why do you feel that you need such strong backwards compatibility?  If someone makes a change in openstack-common and makes simultaneous changes in all OpenStack projects to match, isn’t that sufficient?

This is somewhat related to the recent thread on gating commits on integration tests. There has to be at least some level of backwards compatibility to ensure that tests don't explode when changes are going in across multiple repos.

It's also nice to set expectations for projects that want to use openstack-common, but aren't an openstack core project but perhaps would like to be eventually.

--
Russell Bryant