Re: Do we really need a CLA? [was Re: Using Gerrit to verify the CLA]

Hi Rick,

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 09:02 -0600, Rick Clark wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> First of all, orthogonally, we are very lucky to not have Copyright
> Assignment crushing this project.  That is what the management at
> Rackspace wanted, only NASA's inability to sign such a document
> prevented it.

Copyright assignment would certainly be worse than an Apache-style CLA.

> IANAL, but I was told by lawyers when we were in the planning stages of
> starting Openstack, that while in the US submitting code under the
> Apache License 2.0 was enough to bind the submitter to it, that is not
> the case in all countries.  Some countries require explicit acceptance
> to be bound by it.

I've cc-ed Richard Fontana who I'm sure can comment on that.

> As far as changing anything about the way the CLA works, until we have a
> foundation, the discussion of which seems to have stalled, we, as a
> group, have no real authority to change anything.

Sure, I understand and eagerly await some progress/discussion on the
foundation. I was very disappointed at the level of engagement in the
important discussions started by ttx on the foundation@ list in October.

Even before the foundation is established, though, I'd hope that we as a
community could have sensible discussions about things like our CLA
policy.

> We have a bigger hole in the Corporate CLA, IMHO.  I have been told that
> since it is necessary for a corporate signer to explicitly name their
> individual contributers, and we have no way of updating the document,
> openstack is potentially left open to a lawsuit, if an employee
> unspecified in the CLA, contributes something they consider IP.  I
> seriously hate all this legal stuff.

I'll leave that one for Richard too :-)

Cheers,
Mark.