Re: Blueprint etiquette

Andrew Bogott wrote:
> I am pretty close to fully implementing the api defined in this
> blueprint, here:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/public-and-private-dns
>
> Alas, I'm also about to attend a meeting at which Wikimedia folks will
> almost certainly agree that we need a few features added to that api in
> order to get what we need.
>
> I doubt that anyone but me is keeping much of an eye on this extension,
> but it nonetheless feels rude for me to unilaterally modify it when it
> is already a part of a release schedule.  Is there an established
> process for modifying existing designs?  Should I just go ahead and
> modify the blueprint, or write a new 'extend-the-extension' blueprint?
> Or something else?

The blueprints and spec documents are a medium to foster collaboration
and feedback around a subject, document what is planned, and communicate
implementation status. Feel free to change them to reflect the updated
plans.

The ultimate gate is the proposed change's code review by the core team
reviewers. By communicating your plans earlier in blueprints and specs,
you just increase your chances of acceptation and be a good citizen in
open design and open development.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack