Re: [OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Foundation

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 18:29 -0500, Todd Willey wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > The previous thread here that I contributed to felt a little like
>> > Thierry and I chatting alone in a giant cavern.
>> >
>> > That concerns me for two reasons - (1) the silence of all those
>> > excellent RAX OpenStack developers suggests that those folks are either
>> > afraid to publicly speak their mind on these matters, or they are
>> > ambivalent about them and (2) there are obviously many other discussions
>> > happening away from the transparency of this mailing list.
>>
>> Speaking for myself: I'm more interested in driving the code base
>> forward than the foundation.
>>
>> The foundation bits are in the hands of trustworthy people that are
>> very approachable.  Knowing I can ask about it at any time, and that
>> it is moving forward without having to constantly bird-dog it makes me
>> happy and able to be productive in other ways.
>
> So, generally speaking, RAX hackers are regularly talking (in-person, on
> private mail, irc, phone?) to the folks working on establishing the
> foundation and are reassured by what they are hearing back?

Sorry, the point I was trying to get across is that I don't
necessarily need to be in discussions to feel confident.  I don't
think I've ever had a conversation about it, but I know they'll be
responsive when pinged, and the people involved have been active in
responding to this thread in the last couple of days.

> I'm reassured that you're reassured (genuinely), but I'd be more
> reassured if such questions and assurances were happening on this list
> where I too could be directly reassured by the assurances given ... if
> you follow me :-)

I follow you.  I just wanted to point out that the reason I'm not
asking on the list is that I'm not asking at all, because I haven't
felt any concerns I needed to voice (yet).  I think the early stages
are likely to be very political and getting founding members to feel
good about their positions in the new foundation.  Once the
discussions are less strategic and more tactical about how we actually
implement very specific parts of our mission, I'll likely be more
active.  I assume other developers are in the same boat as we often
make better tacticians than politicians.