Re: swift object versions

John Dickinson wrote:

> I've recently started working on adding versioning to objects stored in swift (https://github.com/notmyname/swift/tree/version_manifest).
> Since this is such a requested feature, I thought it would be a good idea to get early input. I've created an etherpad
> (http://etherpad.openstack.org/swift-object-versions) with the basic overview, a TODO list, and some outstanding questions.

At Nexenta we've been working on an alternate versioning proposal that incorporates distributed deduplication.
An Etherpad description is available at http://etherpad.openstack.org/P9MMYSWE6U

This would be targeted for the F or perhaps even G release. Read the etherpad, there is a fair amount involved.

John's proposal is less ambitious, but at the cost of not dealing with certain issues like large object support and
Providing for uniform distribution of storage without requiring migration of content when it becomes an old version.